Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Optimum Optimization

[Click above image to enlarge for viewing.]

After having my OS X Lion upgrade running for several weeks I decided to check out Micromat's site for an upgrade to its Tech Tool Pro application. Their app is a full-on diagnostics tool and disk optimization utility.

I was surprised to find that my version 4 could be upgraded to version 6. How did I miss the fifth version? Somehow I did; yet, still got the $40 upgrade price. Ensuring that my Mac's volume directory is "glitch free" is vital to avoiding a hard disk drive crash caused by broken file allocation links.

In the past I have sometimes needed to repair volume structures. Monthly diagnostics keeps things easily corrected when a problem is reported.

The next step is file optimization to stitch together all fragmented files. Next I perform volume optimization to get all free space into a contiguous array. The operating system requires a specific amount of contiguous free space. Full optimization prevents continuous build-up of fragmentation that will eventually stonewall the proper function of the operating system.

Tech Tool Pro is highly rated for its solid dependability. I have used it for years and am pleased to have upgraded today.

No comments:

Post a Comment