Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Long Grain Brown Rice

Gluten Free
[click image to enlarge]
Brown rice is higher in nutrients that are largely diminished among the white rice varieties. One cup of brown rice provides 45 grams carbohydrate and 5 grams protein. It adds 216 calories to your diet. Brown rice provides calcium and iron; albeit, a relatively low percentage of daily requirement.

A smart way of managing carbohydrate intake is to avoid anything white. This includes bread, potatoes, rice, etc. The one white item that is safe is cauliflower.

With my new re-focus on diet and diabetes management I am more often including brown rice as a cereal choice.

1 comment:

  1. One cup of brown rice still falls short of the 60 grams of carbohydrate permitted at breakfast and lunch. At dinner I am allowed 75 grams. Therefore, I can safely include a fruit with each meal, as well as a cup of milk.

    I had 4 cups of rice still uncooked. I put that in the rice cooker about an hour ago along with eight and one-quarter cups of chicken stock. I did add sea salt for flavor. One third cup of Bush's Spicy Baked Beans for each rice serving adds a 15 gram of carbohydrate and one lean meat exchange [1/3 of my meal allowance] for protein.

    As I experiment with planning I will figure out the combinations I can enjoy meal-to-meal for interesting variety.

    ReplyDelete