Saturday, January 08, 2011

Probiotics for Health

European Yogurt Maker


This $40 item is on my 'wish list' at Amazon.com and will be ordered next week. A yogurt culture is now on its way. Another method is to add store-bought yogurt (containing live culture) to heated whole milk. The mixed product is maintained at a low temperature for several hours. Said to be mighty delicious.

Shirley likes fruit mixed in, so any kind of fruit preserves should work perfectly well. I suspect that once I start Shirley on this she will not want to go back to yogurt off the grocery store shelf. Imagine adding strawberry preserves and some ripe banana slices to this home-made treat.

BTW, Shirley continues to drink around 95 ounces of water from our AquaLiv system daily. Initially she noticed that never did she get fluid-overload from extra water consumption and she lost 7 pounds (water weight I am sure). As well, recently she stopped her evening Lasix dose, taking only the morning medication without untoward results.

As for me, I continue consuming six pints daily and have had to reduce my evening Lantus insulin dose. And I feel better overall since starting hydration with better water.

7 comments:

  1. Wouldn't you know it. I found a yogurt maker for under $20 and ordered it. I doubt the $40 item would have done a superior job.

    In the past I thought about doing our own yogurt. Now I see it as an important choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Can't wait to hear the taste-test results.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, S[in]… — One of the tricks with yogurt making, from what I have read, is to adjust the taste (acidity) by length of time in the warmer.

    Should the first batch be OK I still might add to the initial time used to get a taste comparison. It will be fun to experiment.

    The yogurt culture is in shipment. The yogurt maker should arrive today or tomorrow. I have the option of getting a yogurt with live organisms to use as a starter for my home made. I need to stop by our local health food store today, so why not get that yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, a gadget of sorts. And the yogurt is quite tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure the yogurt is good. This is one gadget I could really use. We consume yogurt by the gallon around here. All the kids love it.

    I just like to tease you. You know I can't help myself. Hee, hee.

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your teasing is much enjoyed. And a couple yogurt makers (at minimum) would do you well. It is less expensive to use 4 cups of milk and 2 tablespoonfuls of yogurt to get seven 5-oz. jars of home-made.

    Any fruit, etc. must be added when ready to serve, but that is a nice alternative.

    ReplyDelete