Saturday, December 22, 2012

Unrivaled Value - Rival 12-Cup Coffee Maker


I could not believe the price. Just under $10 including tax at Wal-Mart. A competing and popular one-cup coffee maker system retails at around $150. The Rival 12-Cup was a steal by comparison.

Pre-use cleaning was simple. Part of the readiness process was to run two carafes of water through the device. Afterwards this coffee maker was ready to perform.

I brewed 2 cups of coffee, which took approximately four minutes. I used a specialty coffee bean that gets freshly ground at the time of brewing. The Rival performed well.

The footprint and height of the Rival are less than its predecessorBoth preparation for brewing and clean-up were easy.

This Rival replaces a Hamilton Beach 12-Cup Brew Station that had developed a leak somewhere. The kitchen counter underneath the Brew Station would always end up with a coffee puddle. Never could I locate the exact source. And the Brew Station had provided several years of service.

If you are in the market for a coffee maker, look in Wal-Mart for the Rival brand.

2 comments:

  1. BTW, obviously such a bargain price attaches to a coffee maker with no bells or whistles. I do not need an appliance that has a timed start-up for coffee brewed and waiting once I wake up.

    As long as the carafe and brewing basket are clean and ready to go in the morning I find that making my morning coffee requires minimal effort.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, the Rival's brewing temperature was too low to bring out the full flavor of the specialty coffees I use. I had to return and replace this appliance.

    ReplyDelete