Friday, July 19, 2013

Ice Tea Fad or Forever Hooked?

I have been drinking tea in preference to soda pop. All the fast food places offer ice tea along with their other beverages. I opt for the tea lately. I truly enjoy it.

WalMart will get a visit from me today. Mr. Coffee Ice Tea Maker is in stock, and will cost only $20. Some people use their regular coffee maker to brew tea. However, there is a steeping setting on the tea maker.

Luckily I enjoy tea without adding sugar. (I avoid artificial sweeteners.) A friend made ice tea using a Mr. Coffee Ice Tea Maker last evening and I saw the steeping action by simply lifting the lid while the tea was brewing.

A three-quart pitcher is included with purchase and that can fit into the refrigerator quite handily once the tea has been made.



I found Pure Leaf Tea at my market. The unsweetened has 0 calories; yet, the Lipton website indicates 8oz of Pure Leaf Unsweetened Tea contains 31mg of caffeine. A little pricey for convenient availability. Now I shall have a very economical ice tea supply.

I wonder if WalMart offers a decaffeinated tea. And would it taste as good as regular?

2 comments:

  1. Decaffeinated tea is available, as well as some that are labelled to be best for making iced tea. However, the National Cup brand (orange pekoe and pekoe black tea) was less than half their price for 100 tea bags.
    .
    Increasing the ice level in the pitcher got me the three quarts (it's capacity). I used 6 tea bags and got a fairly tasty brew. (I set the steeping on 'dark'.) Next time I shall use seven bags to determine what difference that makes.
    .
    Brewing time is not lengthy with the Mr. Coffee Fresh Tea® unit. I put the used tea bags into the pitcher afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did go with seven tea bags and prefer the taste of the brew this way. My middle son tried some today and said it was yummy. I believe he ended up having three glassfuls of iced tea.
    .
    Making iced tea this way is absolutely economical.The Pure Leaf tea is around $1.30 per eight ounces. Doing 3 gallons with seven tea bags in the tea maker costs almost 13¢. Crazy difference.
    .
    Yes, I now drink more tea on a daily basis because having it is inexpensive. The twenty-dollar tea maker will have payed for itself after a couple more days. I am pleased and amazed.

    ReplyDelete