Friday, August 30, 2013

Text a Driver … See Your Day in Court

 Texting Distraction
Accident Due To Texting Distraction

Investigation into a terrible accident indicates that the driver received a text around the time of the accident. You are responsible for that text. If you live in New Jersey this could spell "big trouble" for you.

"…if the sender of text messages knows that the recipient is driving and texting at the same time, a court may hold the sender responsible for distraction and hold him or her liable for the accident.

'We hold that the sender of a text message can potentially be liable if an accident is caused by texting, but only if the sender knew or had special reason to know that the recipient would view the text while driving and thus be distracted," the court said."

It is only a matter of time before any and all prosecutors will go after those who have texted at the time a driver has a terrible accident.

My smart phone is a wonderful convenience. I have lost count of the number of times I have pulled to the curb and stopped for texting. I do not need the inconvenience and expense ($1.000.00 deductable) of an accident.

What about you? Are you careful not to text while driving?


1 comment:

  1. As well, my phone is placed in "vibrate mode" if I have sat down to a meal at a restaurant. There is nothing more annoying to me than to hear someone's phone ringing while wishing to enjoy a quiet time while doing dinner. And, I do not answer a phone call while I wish to have no distractions.

    ReplyDelete