Wednesday, July 07, 2010

To Err Is Human



I could not renew my driver license online. Because I had a change of address it would be necessary to mail back the renewal form after entering my new address on it. Never mind that it seems to make no sense that online address change is unavailable.

So, enter the human element. Wherever humans are involved there is room for error. Luckily our youngest son (and his wife) live at our old address. That is where my renewed driver license showed up. And with the old address on the license. Aarrgh.

An immediate 'heads up' on the matter was good to get. And the line at DMV moved steadily. Still, it was more time than I wanted to spend over someone else's mistake. The original renewal fee covers this latest corrected replacement, as it should.

And what about the online renewal policy? There was a numerical code to be entered when renewing online. Why would that not suffice as an element of identification for change of address as well? It makes no sense to me that a restriction exists when change of address is part of the process. Maybe I am unaware of a security issue here. Please clue me in if I am missing something in my assessment.

Life goes on. We must always be willing to deal with necessary interventions to keep our world turning. What will it be tomorrow?

2 comments:

  1. Nice picture.

    I hate going to the DMV but our local branch always moves quickly. I really can't complain.

    J.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our Auto Club would have been an easy choice had this been a license tag or auto registration issue. The change of address problem on a driver license had to go to DMV.

    Auto Club is far less a hassle than DMV and all our new registrations get done there. Registration renewals are on-line, and that, of course, is the least bothersome method.

    I was surprised to get it all done in a reasonable amount of time for how busy the DMV was. The temporary driver license slip has my correct address so I know the license card will reflect that.

    Hooray!

    ReplyDelete