Saturday, May 12, 2012

Stolen GPS Recovery


Some mistakenly believe that a stolen GPS device can be recovered through the system's ability to locate it. This is not true. The device interacts with triangulation from three satellite signals to show your location on its displayed map. The device cannot send its location back to the GPS system for purposes of locating it for recovery if it has been stolen or lost.


My Garmin Nuvi was stolen when my vehicle was inadvertently left unlocked. The thief also got the dashboard mount. The power cable, however, was not taken from the center console. It has an FM receiver that gives detour routing when the usual route is blocked by an accident. The recipient of my stolen Garmin will need to find a power cord to keep the battery charged and use the traffic feature.


I will call Garmin on Monday to report my Garmin stolen. By having the serial number they can refuse service on the unit if someone attempts to get it.


My Auto Club Insurance people can tell me if I am covered for stolen property. I shall file a police report in case they check the pawn shops. 

1 comment:

  1. With my deductible it is futile to file a claim with my insurance company. Garmin does keep a data base of reported stolen devices. My Nuvi's serial number is on file with them now.

    ReplyDelete