Friday, May 25, 2012

View The Program — Skip Commercials

A new DVR from DISH Network allows the customer to view recorded programs and skip commercials.


"The TV networks are saying that DISH has, in effect, violated their copyrights by stripping away the traditional way they make money. (Reference)


"For their part, Dish argues that people have been skipping TV ads, in one way or another, since the invention of television. Viewers have muted ads for decades, and the DVR's fast-forward function only hastened the process." (Reference)


There is a 1-day delay before Ad Hop works for a recorded program. Viewing prior to that brings the ads with the the show. Still, fast-forwarding is available.


We fast-forward through advertising when we watch a recorded show. DirecTV has not provided the same ad-hopping technology because they obviously do not want the legal battles.


Will DISH customers be required to pay to have the new DVR? Will CBS, NBC, and FOX networks get an injunction against DISH to keep this new technology out of customers' hands, at least during litigation?

1 comment:

  1. My Hoppers Auto Hop feature is amazing. I love that I no longer have to fast forward past my commercials, because I've often fast forward to far past my programming (which is annoying). A Dish co-worker told me about the Hoppers PrimeTime Anytime feature that automatically records my CBS, NBC, FOX and ABC prime time shows everyday in HD. There’s many more great functions that the Hopper can do so check it out.

    ReplyDelete