Friday, October 28, 2011

GPS Navigation

I was curious. If I cabled my Garmin Nuvi 255W to my iMac's USB port would there be notification of a map update? After all, it had been more than a year ago when the GPS navigation device was purchased. At that time I ran the free map updater. Did I say "free?" Being a new purchase, the Nuvi qualified for a free update within the first ninety days if one was available. It was.

Two choices. A one-time update for $50 or a lifetime plan for $90. I had to be frugal in spite of the costlier choice being the better value. In a couple years I will once again check, then decide if I truly need another update. I suspect I will elect to leave well enough alone.

Having GPS navigation is truly wonderful. My Garmin has assisted me often and can be a dependable time saver when I need turn-by-turn guidance to my destination.

My Garmin Nuvi 255W came with a power cord with the attached FM receiver for traffic updates. When construction or accidents dictate lane closures and traffic back-ups the Garmin suggests alternate routes. I needed that only once, so far, and it was a life saver.

No comments:

Post a Comment