Friday, October 21, 2011

Sumatran Coffees

Coffee Beans — Seeds of the Coffee Cherry

Indonesia
[click image to enlarge]

Sumatra
[click image to enlarge]
Sumatra lies between the South China Sea and the Indian Ocean in Indonesia. The climate is tropical (hot and humid); yet, more moderate in higher elevations. Coffee production is the Arabica variety, a superior product.

Sam's Club carries European Café Sumatra coffee beans that are grown in the high altitudes. The beans are air-roasted. Freshly grinding the beans when brewing coffee ensures my enjoyment of the morning cup. Many times I brew coffee in mid-afternoon as a special beverage treat.

My twin brother got me interested in specialty coffee beans. He insisted that the best specialty coffees should be freshly ground using a burr grinder just prior to brewing. Now I will have my coffee no other way.

3 comments:

  1. With my first-ever cup of specialty coffee, a few years ago, I withheld my usual addition of sugar. Brother Craig recommended I try it that way to experience the unique taste. Never since have I used sugar in my coffee.

    As well, I can not drink restaurant coffees, not even Starbucks. On a scale of 1 to 10 my home-brewed is an eleven. Theirs is a 3 or less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recall those days of yor when I would occasionally search for another commercial coffee, always hoping for that perfect brew. But, now that I consume only my specialty coffees, I realize that those commercial brands simply didn't measure up. As you point out, not even Starbuck's can come close to a freshly ground and brewed bean. Meijer bulk Sumatran beans go for $8.99 / lb. Unless they're on sale for 2 bucks less. Great flavor. Their Costa Rican Estate beans are another good choice.

    I love good coffee, but typically drink only 2 or 3 cups a day. And, coffee "out" is of no interest to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some might suggest that we are alike on this because we are twins. However, the coffee bean is no respecter of persons.

    I paid $18 plus change for 2.5 lbs. of the Sumatran. When you get yours for two dollars off that is yet a better deal. With coffee prices on the rise I would say we get some good deals on superior coffees.

    ReplyDelete